Tuesday, December 1, 2015

II.III Goodbye


"This is where you live?" Song's voice was filled with disbelief as they walked towards the tavern. Claire had learned that he was...technically homeless. He told her that he often slept in the park or near it every night. As her new partner in music, she couldn't allow that.

"I don't really live here. I just stay here every night" She told him, rolling her eyes at his tone. "It's pretty nice. And the owner is a kind man."




Claire smiled as the usual scents of the tavern filled her nostrils. It smelled warm and homey, like spices and wine, like the best thing in the world really. She had lived here since she was young. This place was her home.

She knew Song was looking at her, but he didn't say anything. She wondered what he was thinking but instead of asking, she took his wrist in her hand.

"Come here." She commanded. He followed without a fight.



"Good evening Thomas" She said to the barkeep and owner of the establishment. Song sat near her at the bar, almost gingerly.

"Hello, Claire. Who is your new friend?"

"This is Song. He'll be staying in the other room. Can we have two drinks, please? I'll have my regular. Song, what would you like?" She turned to him to find his face confused.


He stared straight ahead as if he didn't know what to say, a frown on his lips. "I'll...I'll just have what she's having...I guess" He said finally, the frown never leaving his face. Claire couldn't help but giggle slightly.

Thomas began preparing their drinks, Song watching nervously as he did. He handed Claire her drink first and then gave one to Song.


"There you go!" Thomas said, with a wink and a flourish. Song just took the drink gingerly in his fingers, looking at the strange liquid as if it might poison him.

"It's just some spiced wine, Song" She told him, a smile still on her face.


He took his first gulp and almost gagged on it, slamming the cup down. Claire's grin faded from her face and she stood, patting him on the back slightly.

"You shouldn't drink so fast. No offense, but you seem like a light-weight"

"None taken" He said, rubbing his chest. "I think I'm prepared to sleep. Is there a place to sleep?"

"Of course. Thank you Thomas, I'll see you in the morning" She waved to the old man who was just shaking his head as he wiped down his counter.


Claire led him to the old, worn, wooden stairs. She remembered running down them as a child, her father or mother chasing after her. She dipped her head slightly, wondering why she was remembering this. It didn't make any sense. She pushed the thoughts aside, aware that Song was right behind her.


"This is my room. The one across the hall is yours" She said simply. She walked into her room, not expecting Song to follow. She heard his footsteps and the door shut softly behind him.

"Thank you." His voice was soft, almost watery. She didn't realize how much this would mean to him.


She turned to look at him and he pulled her into an embrace. He hugged her tightly and she hugged him back. They had only known each other a short while but she could honestly say he was her best friend. Maybe her only friend.

"You don't know how much this means to me, Claire. Thank you!"

"It was nothing" She insisted. But the smile didn't leave his face.


She watched him as he walked out, bidding her a good night over his shoulder. She sighed to herself, wondering what she was thinking bringing him here, teaming up with him. She had become someone she hardly knew over the course of the past few weeks. Maybe it was all for the better though.




The tavern was filled with music for the first time in a long time. Sometimes Claire would play there, but more often than not, the real money was at the park. But, Song wanted to play here today. He wanted to create a following of people, he said. She didn't really understand what that meant, but she trusted that he knew what he was doing. So they played while Thomas and the few other patrons that came in out listened.


They played other places too of course. The park was their favorite place. The autumn air smelled wonderful and there were always plenty of people. The leaves crinkled and crunched under their feet as they danced to the delightful songs that the pair played.


When the days were too cold to play outside, they also would play at the library. They would play quieter songs and would not sing when they were there but the people seemed to enjoy it. They were becoming well known across the land.


At night they would return to the tavern to talk and laugh. But not this night, it was different. Claire could sense it. Song would not look at her and he had seemed somber the entire day. She had wanted to ask him what was wrong, but had been afraid to.


Finally he rose and walked to the window, looking out at the dreary fall sky. Claire stood and followed after him, wondering what was wrong. What was he not telling her?

"I'm leaving" He finally told her, before she could so much as take a step. He turned to face her.

"Leaving?" She asked, in bewilderment.


"Yes. I must return home. I won't be gone for long... There is just... something I must do" He frowned.

"What is it?"

"I will tell you when I return, Claire, but to remember me I want you to have this" He pulled a necklace out of her pocket with a lovely blue stone on the end of it. It looked expensive. "It is very important to me, just as you are. I want you to keep it. A promise, that I will return"


She threw her arms around Song, feeling tears gather in her eyes. He held her close, as if he didn't want to leave at all. As they began to pull away, she whispered in his ear;

"Please don't be too long"

He looked at her a long moment, his green eyes sharp with his determination. "I won't be. You have my word on that"


And then she watched him walk out the door, praying that it wasn't for the last time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your still writing your blog. I love reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I really love this challenge! I'm actually already to the servant part of it in my game. I'm trying not to play it until I get caught up in story, but its so hard D:

      Delete